I love this week after Christmas and before the new year begins. I always take this time to look back at the jobs I did during the year. This year I was especially blessed to work with some wonderful repeat clients as well as some new ones. I felt this year was one of my most creative years, filled with opportunities that allowed me to really stretch my thinking and abilities. As I poured through twelve months of work, each and every job brought a smile to face. Since I have chronicled all of these jobs here on this blog this year from start to finish, I thought I would just feature one or two final photos from each job. To start, here is January- April 2011. I hope you enjoy this review!
I know I have been absent from this space for most of December, but the good news is I was very, very busy with work and will have a lot of completed projects to show you in the New Year. Now I'm up to my ears with baking and prepping for my annual Christmas Eve dinner celebration where I somehow manage to seat 10 family members in my tiny dining room. I will be back in the New Year with an update of the two girls rooms I completed in November, the Peacock and Butterfly Room and the Tropical Room, as well as a very creative plaster finish I did with fellow decorative painter, Chris Smith.
This year I was very blessed to have some incredible clients who allowed me to stretch my creative abilities. I am going to pull together a little montage of some of my favorite rooms from 2011 for my first 2012 post. Until then, I hope you all enjoy some quality time off with family and friends. Although no longer politically correct... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
So what I basically did for the Peacock and Butterfly room was to stencil the silhouette shapes of the peacocks, vines and leaves. I created all the large silhouette stencils for this room myself because all I needed was the basic shape, no details.
Here are the 3 peacock silhouette shapes I used:
After I had the silhouettes on all of the walls, I knew just who to call to add the details!
Chris Smith to the rescue! Chris spent 3 painstakingly days embellishing all the peacocks and leaves! Using a variety of small scale stencils and freehand techniques, the flat silhouettes came to life.
Don't you just love the blue tape all over her top?
Here are some of her creations:
Lastly, I added the gems. I went all out for the peacocks, but because I had already put about 1,000 (literally!) gems on the butterflies, I decided not to gem the individual leaves. I just added sets of 3 gems to each stem. I ordered 1 gross (1,440) of each of the three colored gems I would use for both of these rooms, so that's 4,320 gems! In the end, I probably had 500 left.
I loved the way this room turned out and truly appreciated Chris's patience with all the detailing!
Oh, yes... I know I have once again shirked my blogging responsibilities, but I have just been too over scheduled to find a minute to pull together a post. I have been dying to show you the latest rooms I have had the pleasure to work in though, so I vow to carve out an half hour each day this coming week to put my fingers to my keyboard and write this Peacock and Parrot Series! A long time client of mine recently had twins and needed some extra space in the house, so the attic was reconfigured and two huge bedrooms for the oldest girls in the family were created.
One room, I refer to as the Peacock and Butterfly Room and the other is the Tropical Room, featuring fish, parrots and palm trees. I'll start by showing you the Peacock and Butterfly Room. These rooms are big. I spent three weeks between the two rooms, so I will need to break the work down in sections as I post. By the way, over 3000 gems were used between the two rooms, so get ready for a lot of bling! ;-)
Above, you see the "before" shots. At each end of the Peacock and Butterfly Room, there are these sloped walls. They are not mirror images, but both have the slanted walls. The photo to the far right shows how the room connects to a Jack and Jill bathroom, with the Tropical Room on the other side. I started by putting a soft glaze over all of the walls, which you will vaguely see in photos to follow.
For both end of the room, where the walls slant, I used Cutting Edge Designs fabulous Butterfly Dance wall stencil. This stencil has a great placement of small to large butterflies, making it perfect to scatter on a wall, very quickly. I used metallic paints for all of the butterflies, and applied gems to each. I did initially try using some foils, but found this too time consuming for this particular project, so abandoned that thought after doing a few!
The color in this photo is truer to the actual rom color. This shows a good portion of one of the slanted walls. Later, you will see a full shot of these slanted ceilings, when I show you the Peacock and Vines on the adjacent walls.