I have two projects that I will be chronicling here this week. Once is my own project in my kitchen which I will call Adieu Asparagus. The other is my first attempt at installing a Granicrete floor system with Stacy over at a client's condo.
I decided that it was time to say goodbye to my Giant Asparagus in my kitchen. I've had it for a few years and I just need a little change. I'm not even a big fan of asparagus, but this space is tall and narrow, so the shape was right.
I started by troweling on 3 layers of Portofino plaster, mixed with Bella Fresco Gold. I put 2 layers on Sunday and 1 when I came home from work on Monday. This is some left over plaster from the Beacon Hill ceiling I did a few months ago. It has a little "shimmer" to it. Next, I will add a stenciled frame.
Now for the client project of the week, the Granicrete floor. I experimented with this cement based system in the class I took in Atlantic City with Nancy Jones. Stacy, has taken some extensive classes in NH and is a certified Granicrete applicator, so I am just along for the ride on this one, playing assistant.
The first step was to seal the plywood. There was wall to wall carpet in this room, that has been pulled up. The sealer is like a thick paint and is applied in a thin layer with a trowel.
This layer dries fairly quickly. Next we laid down this plastic mesh covering. It gets stapled to the sub-floor. That's as far as we got for today since we both had to leave early for other appointments. More tomorrow.